Thursday, November 15, 2012

I am noticing a disturbing trend in schools today regarding mathematics and teaching of mathematics.  The majority of students I work with tell me how poor their teachers are. Many basically just read things from the book, don't take time to really explain concepts in class or take the time to work with student after school. I even heard of one teacher that simply posts youtube videos on the topic and hands out worksheets with the answer key.  Making matters worse, the school has a tutoring center, but that has been deemed pretty useless as well. When I was in school, teachers seemed more apt and wanting to help students.  Are teachers, in general, getting more lazy? I know there are still plenty of excellent teachers and certainly want to give credit to those fine educators that take their jobs seriously. But I can't overlook what seems to be a higher percentage of poor teachers today than 25 to 30 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment